Monday, February 23, 2009

Bed wars

Ok before I get into this can I just say learn from our mistakes!!! Just because your kid can climb out of his crib does not mean he is ready for a toddler bed!

Eoin's toddler bed arrived last Thursday and so on Friday he started to use it. First of all he was super excited by this new piece of furniture that had appeared in his room and it was so much fun climbing all over it. Nap time went well but I think it went well because he was exhausted and fell asleep in my arms during his story.

However that night was a total nightmare. Normally Eoin is out like a light by 6pm well that first night he didn't settle until 11pm and then we were woken every hour by him banging on his door (luckily he can't open his bedroom door). By 6am he was up and ready to get going.
So on Saturday I thought I'd put the bedding he had in his crib on his new bed to help with the transition. He settled more easily for his nap but his usual two hour nap was only 40 minutes long.


So by the time bedtime came round Eoin was dropping but again he wouldn't settle. We had the same thing from the night before all over again. So today we decided that maybe we (well me really) had jumped the gun a little and we decided to put Eoin back in his crib. Well his little face when he saw his crib again was a picture. He was all smiles and 'pease, pease, pease' when he realized it was back in his room. We are also a lot happier knowing that he is happy.

And in order to stop him climbing out of his crib we are going to get him to sleep in his sleepsack for naptime and not just nighttime because he can't climb while in his sleepsack. Why I didn't think of this in the first place I don't know. I think I got excited at the thought of Eoin experiencing something new rather than focusing on how we were all going to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment