Sunday, July 24, 2011

PEG tube

So I'm heading into hospital again tomorrow for a couple of days so that my care team can place a PEG tube in my stomach. It is basically a tube used to feed me but a little different from the usual NG tubes. We can't place one down my throat as that is getting radiation and is red, swollen, blistered, and bleeding. So I have to have a PEG tube. I'm a little nervous as this is done under local anesthetic but as Eoin keeps telling me I must be a brave girl. I'll be at UCSF for a couple of days and have the tube for about six weeks but I only have two weeks of radiation left - yippee! Soon I'll be in single digits and counting down.

Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes - they mean the world to us and really do keep us going even when we think we have no strength left. My main visualization that has kept me going through all of this is the thought of you all holding hands in a circle with me in the center (and sometimes the three of us as a family) just being sheltered and prayed for by you all. It has at times brought me to tears to know that we are loved so much and we are humbled that you all care so much for us all. Thank you.

UPDATE (Aug 7) Two weeks later and I'm still in hospital. I have finished my radiation treatment which is amazing but I got a bad infection while here. Also my calcium and potassium levels are very low along with my white cell count. My health care team are going to keep me here a while longer so that I can heal and rest as much as I need. Tomorrow I get a central line (PICC) put in as my veins have disappeared. The PEG feeding tube is working ok - it took me  a while to adjust to it but I'm almost at the required level.


4 comments:

  1. That doesn't sound like fun but I'm sure Eoin will make you laugh anyway. I think about you and your family and I know that with a wit such as yours you will be fine. It's like adoption...waiting, hoping, roadblocks, but we keep with it and eventually reach our destination. You got through that, you'll get through this too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I ran across your blog by looking at kids water tables (saw your pictures after about a year ago, so cute!!) anyway, even though you don't know me I wanted to say that I'm praying for you. I hope God gives you the strength you need for all you are going through!

    Natsknapsack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know I've been following your fight. I found your link on the ThyCa message boards. I hope you doing well. I have been diagnosed with PTC, just had my TT with neck dissection on July 21st. Waiting for a PET scan Thursday for some mysterious groin nodes that they say is concerning. My endo made the suggestion that I might be expecting EBR as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your prayers!

    @taiooo - I am sorry that you are on this journey too. It can really suck sometimes.I will keep everything crossed that your PET scan shows only positive healthy nodes. My email address is on my ThyCa profile so feel free to email me with any questions you have about EBR. Hugs

    ReplyDelete