Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Battle of the Wills

It has reached the point for both Eoin and I where he needs to nap in his crib. We did get him doing this a little way back but he never put himself to sleep. But today I reached a point where I recognized that I needed some time to myself whether it be to cook dinner or do admin stuff or even read a book and also Eoin needs to learn to put himself to sleep. He also wants to sleep on his front which he can't do if he is on me for naptime. So as much as I don't want to admit that my baby is growing up into a little boy it is time to cut the cord of baby sleeping on mommy.

So for Eoin's first nap this morning I gave him a cuddle and settled him down in his crib. He was good and did not cry but played for about 30 minutes. Then I could hear him clapping and doing all the things that normally gets a positive response from us. Seeing as I had prepared dinner in that time I went in and gave him another cuddle during which he fell asleep and then I put him back in his crib and he slept for an hour.

I have just put Eoin down for his second nap and this is where the battle of the wills came into it. Eoin was so tired. He had walked to the park, played with his friends for two hours and then walked most of the way home again. Once we got him he had some milk and I gave him a cuddle and put him down. Well he cried and cried (well it was only about 5 mins!). I was watching him through a slightly open door (he couldn't see me). Bless him he was so tired. He started rocking himself to sleep and then ended up in a seated position. He started to fall asleep while sitting up. I could see his little head dropping down and jerking back up. The whole time I am holding myself back from going in and at the same time trying to will Eoin to lie down because I could see what was going to happen. And sure enough it did; eventually he fell forward and banged his head slightly on the crib which of course woke him up again. So in I went and gave him a cuddle and put him back into his crib awake and now about five minutes later (and about 15 minutes from originally putting him down) he is asleep. And he achieved it all on his own. Now I have to keep this up and not undo one day of good progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment