Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spoke a little too soon

Well I think I may have spoken to quickly about the lack of cancer in my lungs. I went back today for the in depth scan. This scan shows far more as I have a dose of I131 on board and so I 'light up' more. Turns out that as well as the cancer that is recurring/left on my thyroid bed I also have a small met of thyroid cancer in my left lung. My right lung is thank God clear. I'm not really sure what the plan is now.

UPDATE: I am heading back to UCSF Oncology hospital on Monday and will have a CT to confirm involvement of lung and/or posterior mediasternum. Also we will discuss weather I need more external radiation.

I see my endocrinologist next week however a few things are on my mind - how the hell did cancer survive in my neck after all that external radiation. I'm not too worried about my lung as people have walked around for years with mets in their lungs but I am worried about my neck. This cancer is so stubborn! From day one we knew it was going to be a tough journey due to the fact that my tumor was huge and it is poorly differentiated.

I continue to stay busy. I have just finished and shipped the wedding invites for my brothers wedding in May. I have rented a cello and I am having so much fun trying to learn that. Finally I am taking the time to catch up on listening to music and finding stuff that is new to me. Again a huge thank you to the families and teachers at Eoin's school for being there as support this week!

I am hoping that with your prayers and my strong will that this latest I131 treatment works. Please pray for my doctors as well as my family.

2 comments:

  1. I feel so frustrated for you :( Praying LOTS for you Saran!
    Love alisa Robertson ( portman)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Saran! This is not the best news. I will be praying for answers for your combination of issues, guidance to doctors hands and minds to do the best treatments and strength for you and your boys to find power, peace and togetherness in a time you'll likely have to have some separation. I am so sorry you are going through this again with little result the first round. Eat, sleep and love on your boys. I admire that you are trying to learn the cello. I would love to learn an instrument too. Big squeezie hug. Sincerely, Lisa Thompson

    ReplyDelete