Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The joys of open adoption

Tonight as I rocked Eoin to sleep he looked at me and asked if he could show his blue dobby (blankie) to Amy his birthmother. I love that Eoin knows who Amy is and that she is part of his life. We talked about how much Amy loves Eoin and that she is very proud of him. Eoin looked up at me and just said 'yeap' but it was said so emphatically and with such gusto I know he knew that what I was telling him was true. Everyday we are in awe of the blessing that Eoin has been and open adoption has been to us as a family. I love being able to talk to people about how we are the lucky ones (not Eoin as most people insist on telling us) that we have been trusted and blessed with such and amazing gift. I love being able to talk about how we are not threatened at all by having Eoin's birthmother in our lives but rather we feel blessed in having a relationship with her.

1 comment:

  1. Saran I am so with you on this.
    I can't imagine life without J...
    Open adoption feels so human, the good parts of being human.
    We hope to have Henry talk about J someday too.

    ReplyDelete