Saturday, February 19, 2011

More health adventures.....

 
I'm not sure where to start with this post so I guess I will rewind a couple of weeks. In the middle of recovering from my hysterectomy I visited an endocronologist doctor at the advice of my family doctora s I had a large mass in my neck. Three days after this visit I was told I had thyroid cancer.

My parents soon flew out from Ireland to support us. Ashley continues to bless us with being such an amazing nanny and looks after Eoin so well. She truly has been a blessing as having her with us has enabled Andy to be with me through all the doctor visits and treatment so far.


Fast forward to today and I'm one week post-op a 10 hour complicated neck surgery. I have had the best doctors ever and they worked so hard not to damage any nerves. They took a 7cm by 5cm tumor out along with lymph-nodes, some muscle and shavings of my trachea oh and of course my thyroid. The doctors have told us that the cancer is aggressive but with proper treatment I will still be here to see Eoin graduate.

So in the next couple of weeks I will embark on a low iodine diet, thyroid meds and another stint in hospital but in isolation for radioactive iodine treatment. This last part I think will be the toughest as I won't be able to have contact with Eoin at all for at least 8 days (Andy for 3 days and then limited contact).

I am so thankful for family and friends who have again in such a short length of time rallied and supported us through this latest adventure. I will try and keep you all up to date with how things are going and also I will hopefully be able to snap some pictures of Eoin (though I suspect most of what appears here will be from Ashley - thanks hun!).

Please keep us in your prayers and thoughts over the next few weeks - it is going to be quite the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment